Are you still at the mercy of paper-based systems despite available technologies to reduce paper usage? Go Paperless. Go Secure. – Written by Sunny Ukeachu – FNiiS, FIMC
Digital transformation has become a prominent discuss in modern business strategies; it is a technology-focused shift and drives changes that determine how businesses relate to customers and how businesses conduct processes. According to Gartner, digital business transformation is the process of exploiting digital technologies and supporting capabilities to create a robust new digital business model. It is “…the process of using digital technologies to create new – or modify existing – business processes, culture, and customer experiences to meet changing business and market requirements,” says Salesforce.
Over the years, technology has always been a catalyst for revolutionizing society. For example, the Neolithic Revolution’s creation of agriculture led to a complete overhaul of where and how people lived and worked. The Industrial Revolution changed agrarian societies into manufacturing centers and altered the work people did and the standards of living they could expect. The Digital Revolution has similarly changed how people communicate, shop, and work. Businesses responding to these changes are having to innovate and invest in digital strategies including adapting to new and available technologies, changes in customer expectations, societal shifts, and industry disruptions.
Of course, these changes couldn’t but make organizations become more customer-focused, agile, adaptive to new opportunities, and efficient to stay competitive, in addition to, opening the potential for new streams of income, new partnerships, and a broader reach for their brand. Some elements of digital transformation are:
- Integrating digital technology;
- Improving customer experience;
- Modernizing company culture;
- Focusing on core business needs;
- Strategizing based on digital landscapes.
The Role of Paperless Office in Digital Transformation
Paper-based communication and processes are cumbersome, impede productivity, reduce operational efficiency, and cost the organization huge money; above all, become a clog in the wheel of maximizing the benefits of digital strategies. Paperless office initiative deliberately removes papers from processes to improve efficiency and it is the first step toward digital transformation in any organization. In achieving paperless office, you must have a phased approach which is deliberately implemented. In creating a plan for achieving paperless office, the following milestones need to be considered:
- Conversion of documents; information that started as paper is transformed into electronic form. Documents are scanned, indexed, and stored securely in a central repository for easy retrieval.
- Processes that were manual are automated using an electronic document management system integrated with other core business applications. This helps streamline workflows across business functions.
- On the go access of electronic documents – you can access documents anytime, anywhere, and from any device. This is critical if you have multiple offices or employees that need access to documents remotely.
- Continual improvement of processes to consistently strengthen efficiency. Performance indicators are set and monitored for driving steady improvements in customer relationship and service delivery.
Benefits of Paperless Office
1. Reduction of Operational Costs;
2. Improvement of Efficiency and Productivity;
3. Establishment of Better information Security and Compliance posture.
In conclusion, the International Data Corporation (IDC) analysts, Susan Feldman and Chris Sherman noted in a pivotal IDC white paper, that “timely access to critical information separates the winners from the losers in today’s economy.” This is the hallmark of Digital Transformation also. To ensure you remain a winner in your market and are equipped to meet your stakeholders’ needs, including the information needs of the workers sustaining your organization, adapting a paperless office is the smartest thing to do. Go paperless today!